Friday, July 18, 2008

Help needed.

Here is part of an email I sent to my mom. It's all about things we need to read down here. If you have any of these things and can donate them give them to my mom. terrip@carmelbaptist.org . It would be a tremendous help. Since I'm teaching 7th, 8th, and 9th grade there needs to be independent reading. It's really important to find things the kids want to read, so variety is good. I'd like to have some stuff in my room and in the end expand the library of the school which at this point is a few shelves in a room. It's difficult though since I"m not in the States.

Magazines: For independent reading time. It doesn't really matter what they're about (i.e. Time, Sports Illustrated, Popular Science, whatever). The point is for the kids to be reading. So if people have old magazines sitting around we could use them.

Random Books: Books between a 5th and 9th grade reading level. These are also for independent reading time. I'm going to keep these and the magazines in my room for independent reading time and then at the end of the year give them to the library here. So if people have old children's books that would be awesome.

Three more copies of The Great Gilly Hopkins. I'm starting out the year in 8th grade with this and I'm 3 copies short of a full class set.

Four copies of The Giver. I don't have any copies of this but I'd really like to try and start out the year in 9th grade with this book.

If anyone has a book about Central American History or something, that would be awesome. This obviously is a long shot but I'd really like to be able to tie all this stuff to something they can relate to as much as I possibly can. For example, with Sounder, try and talk about how the slave trade related to them, etc. It's also important for me to have a better undestanding of their culture so I can present material with a culturally sensitive perspective as well as one with an intent to challenge critical thinking.

These books can all be used, that's not really important. Just let people know that I'm not asking for money, i'm asking for used books that once the year is finished will be donated to the school's library.


Thanks!

1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm disappointed you didn't ask for pamphlets from doctor's and vet's offices. You're not learning after all.... The licuado was indeed a mistatke. So sad.