Friday, June 6, 2008

As the old saying goes: "Don't marry a bald woman"


Still in Xi'an. We leave for Chongqing tomorrow around 4 pm. Last night Graham and I went to a club near our hostel so I feel up to describing the chinese club. It honestly is like you would imagine it. The music is centered around a steady thumping beat. Above it is mostly remixed song in english.; The thumpingwill stop every few minutes for a few seconds for an effect when it starts back. There were a lot of lights going. This particular club had a screen that was displaying various weird images. Three DJ's were on a platform, their heads boucing with the beat. Once or twice when the beat would stop, bubbles would fall from the ceiling. Every so often dancers would emerge on the stage behind the DJ's; one dance was a guy and a girl dressed like angels moving slowly. The basic dance step everyone did was a smooth twist with their upper bodies. I tried to cut loose when I got there and got weird looks. Dancing with girls was more difficult than I thought it would be. When I would ask girls to dance they looked at me funny then would shake their heads. I figured out the way it had to be done was just dancing on the floor and slowly establishing eye contact. I ran into some trouble at one point when I was dancing with four girls and I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to meet a short chinese guy and his posse. "This isn't english, he said (I didn't point out the irony in his statement). "This is China," he continued as he pushed me. His body language and the girls' seemed to indicate that he wasn't one of their boyfriend. I turned back around to find another behind me (fourn in total). I felt it best not to escalate the situation and walked off. Nathan was out last night with some guys from the hostel and saw two chinese guys smashing beer bottles over each other's head. Today we took a bus to see the Terra cotta warriors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta_Army). They were interesting. There are thousands of those guys. WE jolked about the emperor pitching the idea to the guys who were to build them. The bus ride back was crazy as the bus driver straddled the broken line and honked his horn at everyone we passed. Brian's had McDonald's the last 3 meals. The buy guy loves the chicken nuggets. We are currently having a Paper Rock Scissors battle. Each match is best out of 3. I'm beating Brian 21-12 and Graham 8-5. Brian is beating Graham 8-6. Brian and I are going for the first to 100. A note from an earlier blog, Milton is at this hostel now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dude. I just got back from Berlin/Edinburgh. The blog is rockin. Props for keeping up with it at such a regular pace. Stellar. When do you get back? We should hang before Honduras. Congratulations for getting the job, it will be fantastic.

I guess I could have said all this via a facebook wall post or email, but whatev. This way proves I actually read your blog entries.

I'm tired and jet-lagged. I will fill you in on European adventures later. I want to compare dance club stories.