Thursday, June 5, 2008

Said I loved you but I lied... cause this is more than love I feel inside

This is a couple of day slate but here's the run down of The Great Wall. We woke up and caught the tour bus at around 6 am. It was a 3. 5 hour treck to the mountains. When we arrived we were all a little cold and we looked around to see everyone else had worn pants and/or jackets while we all had on shorts and tee shirts. The hike in total was 10 km. We walked up a path to the Great Wall. I'd try to describe the wall but I think it'd be pointless. In short though, the mountains are pretty steep at some parts and really steep in others. I couldn't imagine being responsible for carrying the stones to the top of the mountain to construct the wall. The wall sits along the ridge and goes up and down the mountains with the peaks. If you look off in the distance you can see the wall gliding over the mountain tops. It was fantastic. There were people on the wall who wanted to try and be our tour guides. They would walk with us and try and help our walk. We had to just ignore them. My guy, it turned out, grew baby corn. I wanted to ask him how he ate it but it was too much of a language barrier. When Graham (or Johnny G as we have come to call him) went up a tower, his "tour guide" turned his back and Graham ran by him to lose him. For most, the walk was a great stroll/hike. For me it was confrontation with my greates foe, heights. We have pictures of me on all fours scaling the stairs. Graham said I was the first person he'd met who had a true fear of heights. In my defense there were points where we were at the peaks of mountains walking stair cases 5 feet wide with no walls. I don't see how everyone did it. James, I was a warrior; you would have been proud. I thought of you several times, thinking if you were there I would have someone with I could turn around. There were several points where I had to look at the floor and keep moving If I had stopped or looked out, I don't know that I would have been able to continue. It was a great walk in all though. Graham took good pictures and they do the hike greater justice. At the end of the walk there was a lake. To get to the end we could zip line to the other side. The zip line was between 150 and 200 feet above the water. Graham lost his hat when he went down (he's now temporarily wearing a Beijing 2008 hat). Layne video taped as he went down. Even I went down. I guess I could do it because I knew it'd only take on step. I did however scream o nthe way down. Everyone went down the zip line. I was sick but that night the other 5 went with the British friends to a chinese dance club complete with bubbles, lights and a floor that moved to the beat. We're in Xi'an now. We took an overnight train last night to get here. We're here til saturday. Layne, Katie and I are having trouble gettin gmoney out of the bank, so we're about to go to the counter of Bank of China. After this is Chingqing then Kumming then Lijian thn Shanghai then back home. Most of our time is go;ing to be spent in Lijian where we're planning on hiking. The south of China is known for the countryside.

1 comment:

james said...

drew. i am truely proud. i don't know if i could have done it.

bring me back something cheap and stupid, please.